Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > All Images > 2021 > November > 12 Nov 2021

Images Dated 12th November 2021

Choose from 40 pictures in our Images Dated 12th November 2021 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


121121carpark Featured 12 Nov 2021 Image

121121carpark

A new car park has opened off Hill Street, in Stoke. The site was once occupied by Stoke? first town hall and market, erected in 1794. Cllr James Smith is pictured with the plaque which has been installed on the site to mark the location and give the history of the land.
Stoke-upon-Trent? First Town Hall
This site was once occupied by Stoke? first town hall and market, erected in 1794. A board of 18 trustees oversaw the construction of the building on a plot of land surrendered by John Ward Hassells. Costs were met by a group of more than 50 subscribers, comprising prominent local manufacturers, business people and landowners, including the potters Josiah Spode I, Josiah Spode II, Thomas Minton, Thomas Whieldon and Thomas Wolfe & Sons.

The two-storey building, originally described as a ?arket House & School? consisted of an open-arcaded ground floor, with a meeting room above. The ground floor featured space for a market and, by 1829, provided lockups and storage for the town? fire engine. A Saturday market was held at the site by 1818, but struggled to thrive due to competition from Hanley. Alteration and repair works were carried out to the building in July 1832, accompanied by improvements to the surrounding Market Place.

In 1834 construction began on a new, larger town hall and market on Glebe Street. The Reform Act of 1832 had elevated Stoke-upon-Trent to a parliamentary borough, which encompassed much of the area covered by the ancient parish of the same name. The old town hall did not adequately convey the area? enhanced status and, consequently, a new, prestigious civic building was planned by the sale of Glebe land around the newly constructed St Peter? parish church in 1830. A new butchers?market was also constructed just to west of the old town hall in 1835. This building can still be seen on the corner of Hide Street and Hide Place.

Although meetings continued to be held at the old town hall, a Diocesan Commercial School was established on the upper floor in 1841. For a minimum fee of one guinea per quarter, the school offered tuition in writing and arithmetic, English grammar, history, geography and book-keeping, all underpinned by instruction in the teachings of the Anglican church. J. P. Pearson served as master of the school until 1847, to be succeeded by the Reverend Henry Sotheby Wood, who remained in post until at least 1863.

Stoke (Liberty of Penkhull) Highway Board rented part of the ground floor as a store for tools and materials in 1861. Part of the space was subsequently re-let to raise money to repair and improve the building. The fire engine previously located on the ground floor of the building had been removed to Glebe Street in 1843, but was returned to the old town hall in 1874. In the same year, a captured Russian gun from the Crimean War, originally presented to the town by W. T. Copeland in 1857, was relocated to sit outside the old town hall. In 1875 an unsuccessful attempt was made to use the building as a library. Part of the building served as a drill hall in 1899.

The old town hall hosted numerous meetings, functions and events during the early 20th century, including a funeral banquet for Alderman Frederick Geen in February 1915. Geen was a prominent figure in local politics and served as the Mayor of Stoke-upon-Trent between 1896 and 1899. He was elected as an alderman in 1900 and played an important role in the negotiations that led to the Federation of the six Potteries towns in 1910.

The area around the town hall was subject to a slum clearance order in 1933. In early 1939, the old town hall was reportedly in a dilapidated state and had been demolished by August of that year

© Pete Stonier / Stoke Sentinel

121121muriel Featured 12 Nov 2021 Image

121121muriel

Muriel Roger has lost everyone Welsh speaking around her, so age Cymru set her up with Kadun Rees, to have chats in Welsh over the phone. We're setting up a zoom for the two of them to meet "face to face" for the first time and learn a little bit more about their friendship.
Muriel Rogers is pictured
pic Rob Browne

12/11/2021RavensmeadDefib Featured 12 Nov 2021 Image

12/11/2021RavensmeadDefib

Pictured: Two family friends who started the fundraiser (holding the defib), Sam's husband and sons, the school headteacher, and representatives from Tesco.
Brief: Ravensmead Primary, in Bignall End, is to be presented with a new defibrillator following the tragic death of teaching assistant Samantha Benson earlier this year.
Samantha died from a heart attack after fellow staff were unable to access the four-digit code for a nearby defibrillator in time to save her. The school began fundraising for its own new equipment to prevent this from happening to anyone else.
Now Tesco has stepped in to help and will be presenting the device to Ravensmead on Friday.
Samantha's husband, Neville Benson, will also be there. He's been campaigning to ensure schools have access to fully functioning defibrillators

© Stoke Sentinel